To improve the online visibility of a website, you need to conduct digital marketing. SEO or Search Engine Optimization and SMO or Social Media Optimization are two important branches of digital marketing. For successful online promotions, both SEO and SMO offer unique sets of activities. However, some activities of both of these branches fulfil common requirements. But, for a successful digital marketing initiative, you need to know the unique functions of each activity.
In the digital marketing industry, the number of beginners is quite high. All beginners try to learn the basic purposes of each digital marketing method. So, at first, you need to know the basic benefits of SEO and SMO.
Basic differences between SEO and SMO
Some basic differences or unique benefits of SEO and SMO are:
- SEO is used to provide ranks to websites in search engines. With appropriate SEO activities, a website can get top ranking positions.
SMO involves a bunch of activities to promote a business in Social Media Channels.
- Both SEO and SMO drive traffic. But, the nature of traffic is different for each. SEO drives traffic from search engines, whereas, SMO drives traffic from Social Media platform.
Unique activities and functions of SEO and SMO
You have already come to know the basic differences between SEO and SMO. Now, you will know the benefits and functions of the basic activities.
- Both SEO and SMO activities depend on keywords. But, in SEO, keywords play major roles. In SEO, keyword research activity is the top most priority.
- Both SEO and SMO depend on content marketing activities. But, in SEO, you can’t use any duplicate content. In SMO, there is no restriction in using duplicate contents in maximum cases. But, your contents must be convincing and reader-friendly.
- In SEO, you have to create a user-friendly website. In this regard, you have to work closely with web designers and developers. For successful SMO, you just need to use the links of your websites and pages on the Social Media platform.
- To create an SEO strategy, you need to create a lot of other strategies too. For example, you have to create a link building strategy. In SMO, you just need to create a Social Media strategy. Sometimes, you may need to create a content marketing strategy as well.
- In both SEO and SMO, you need to keep yourself well-informed about the latest updates and tools. However, in SEO, each tool performs a lot of complex activities. Thus, you need to acquire the expertise to handle them. SMO updates and tools are comparatively simpler.
- In both SEO and SMO, you can use outbound links in your contents. But, in SMO, it will be better, if you use the link of your website only. In SEO, for adding appropriate outbound links, you need to create an effective link building strategy.
Both SEO and SMO help each other in many ways. When creating a website, you should add social media buttons. These buttons will help to share web contents to different Social Media Channels. Thus, social media traffic can be sent to a website or vice versa. Therefore to conclude we can say that creating a digital marketing strategy with the goal to reach enthusiasts through different channels is the need of the hour for modern businesses.