Email marketing is one of the most important essential constituents of digital marketing. If you are somewhat aware about the usefulness of email marketing, then perhaps you would be highly interested to get started with email marketing. However, do you exactly know how to get started? Do you possess any knowledge regarding the steps you have to take to become successful in email marketing? If not, in this blog post I’ll assist you to get acquainted with the steps of getting started with email marketing. I’ll also ensure that your first campaign is a success. Let’s get started:
Step 1: Set Your Goals
In life, whatever you do, you should first set your goals properly. And this is in case of email marketing as well. Before delving into the details, you must analyse your goals regarding what you want to achieve with email marketing. This is important because your goal itself will guide you, whatever you want to do: campaigns you send, whom you send, what content you include, and how you measure the performance. Most people show great interest in the beginning and simply start by signing up to an email marketing tool. After that, they do nothing. Now, why does this happen? This is because they do not have any goal. However, if you do not have a destination to reach, you wouldn’t be able to pick a route to travel.
So, before jumping in, just allot some of your precious time in thinking clearly about your prime objectives of learning email marketing. To help you understand, I am enlisting my goals for email marketing:
- Try to get 1,000 new email subscribers each day into my funnel
- Satisfy these email subscribers by providing them valuable content for at least 30 days
- Promote my digital marketing courses to my email list and make revenue in order to fund further lead generation.
Step 2: Build Your List
If you have decided your goals, now it’s time to create your list. All you need to build a list is a simple formula and a proper email marketing tool.
The formula is: An incentive (also referred to as the lead magnet) + easy signup option = big email list. In order to create a list properly, you require only two components: lead magnet and a simple signup process. So, let us talk about these components in detail:
- The Lead Magnet: In general, people do not want to share their personal details such as email address and mobile number with anyone. Therefore, this is where the lead magnet comes to your rescue. Lead magnet is the incentive you need to give to your prospects to share their email address with you. In this way, you can get permission to send them emails.
The lead magnet can be anything:
- An E-book
- A webinar
- An email course
- A free course
- A case study
- An infographic
- Discounts (or coupons)
You just need to keep in mind one rule. The lead magnet you choose should be related to the goal you want to achieve.
- A Simple Signup Process: People are generally lazy by nature. As a result, if you want them to sign up, you have to make the signup process as simple as possible. Otherwise, your lead magnet would be of no effect.
- The Tool: After people sign up to your email list, you would require a proper email marketing tool to capture and build your email list. You can begin with MailChimp / MailerLite as these are free options.
Step 3: Pick a Right Campaign Type
Congratulations for completing the selection of your goal and building the list. Now it’s time to select a proper campaign type that’ll help in achieving your goals. You can use different types of email campaigns, but I will focus on the top two here.
- Newsletter: This type of email campaign is mostly used. Newsletter is an amazing way to keep in touch with the people who already know you. It’ll help you a lot.
- Announcement Emails: This is something you’re really familiar with. You would’ve seen it in action on my list. This is an excellent way to announce about a new content or product or service you’ve launched. It helps to drive a massive traffic to your business instantly.
- Set Up & Measure Your Campaign: Now, I’m at the final step of the email marketing setup process. So, let’s put email marketing in action and measure the performance.
- Setting up the campaign: Set up your first email campaign by logging into your favourite email tool. Start the campaign.
- Measuring Your Campaign Performance: Once your first email gets opened and clicked, you’ll be able to track and measure your campaign performance instantly.
To round up this discussion, would like to tell you that the aforesaid tips was all about starting your email marketing campaign from the scratch. This is just the beginning. In my next blog post, I will be sharing more email marketing strategies and tricks to help you become a successful email marketer.