Political campaigns the world over have gone through radical change. The internet revolution has changed the way people connect with each other now. Instead of getting influenced by only newspapers, most people now are influenced by flashy ads on mobile devices, televisions etc. The Internet boom has increased the reach and specificity of the audience and has enhanced the effect of a successful political campaign. Think of it this way. The campaign is a start-up which has decided to go bankrupt anyway. In that process, its primary task is to garner attention and votes of the target audience. Since it’s a business, one can apply digital analytics, digital marketing for political campaigns and all the associated tools to maximize reach and support.
Social media platforms – great tools for digital marketing for political campaigns
Political campaigns mainly focus on the win. This means that a large number of people have to be reached. Popular social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram provide this platform for digital marketing for political campaigns.
- One of the most common examples of using digital marketing for political campaigns is Donald Trump’s Presidential campaign. Though it was strewn with controversy, it has definitely had a huge impact on the voters who voted and elected him as the 45th President of the US.
- A strong digital presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram has immensely helped Mr. Trump win the elections with a majority margin.
Compared to times before, digital marketing for political campaigns is a boon now!
In the days when newspapers, flyers and non digital marketing methods were used, there was no way of knowing the response of the outreach. As a result, necessary steps couldn’t be taken to sufficiently supplement the campaign so that it ensures a win.
- In this present era, digital marketing for political campaigns is a boon. The analytics which are available provide a significant edge to the campaign planners, as they can see exactly what adjustments need to be done to the campaign so that a win can be ensured. Results can quantize and be used to maximize the effect of a successful campaign.
Digital marketing for political campaigns – needs to be managed professionally
Political parties have entire departments looking after digital marketing for political campaigns. After all, the Internet doesn’t let these politicians stay out of the limelight. The explosive nature of the Internet has created a demand for specialized personnel who are equipped to handle the cyber pressure and project a positive image. Maintaining a positive image is not as easy as it sounds.
- The Internet has a habit of exposing the personal lives of these important people and with the advent of IOT, everything is connected.
- The flipside is, everything can be hacked. This is the singular reason political campaigns are carefully monitored and managed by professionals.
Using Digital marketing for political campaigns in India
Digital marketing for political campaigns in India is also picking up wind as the Narendra Modi led BJP have won two consecutive elections with a landslide margin. The government has used all available resources to project its good work on the Internet. Facebook, Instagram, Television, Twitter, Android apps and YouTube has been used to campaign for lobbying support and spreading awareness about the beneficial policies which they will implement if they are voted to power.
Digital marketing for political campaigns is a beneficial tool and should be utilized justly to reap huge benefits. Nowadays, if digital marketing is not used for political campaigns, then the political party doesn’t even stand a slim chance to win!